Senior Apple Technician
I am passionate about helping individuals and small businesses with their Apple technology. My goal is to establish long-term relationships with the people we support. Clients love me because I worry about technology so they don’t have to. I can provide this same peace of mind for you.
I love to work hard and help our clients with their Apple technology. I jump at the chance to learn new applications and enjoy teaching others what I know regarding technology. I love getting to know our clients and providing support for their Apple related endeavors.
Client Relations Specialist
I am responsible for all sales, marketing and client relations initiatives for the company. This includes our social media, advertising, and quality assurance programs. I also assist at monthly Salem Mac Users Group (SMUG) meetings and provide office support as needed.
Office Operations Manager
I’m often the first person you’ll “meet” at MacAtoZ, whether its via phone, email or in person. While our techs worry about technology, I keep our office on track and operating as smoothly as possible. If you have questions about services, billing, appointments, or you’d just like to have a good chat, I’d love to help you!
I am responsible for all reconciliation accounting functions within the company, including some deposits and reconciliation of all accounts. I also respond to any billing related inquiries from clients as needed.
Member of the MacAtoZ team
We’re always on the lookout for people with whom we want to work. If you derive great joy and meaning by helping people and have a passion for Apple technology, feel free to send us your resumé and cover letter.
At its core, our Mission is three words: We help people. Our expertise lies in Apple-related technology, so that’s where we can most readily improve people’s lives. That said, “with their Apple technology” is not meant as a hard limit. If we can help people in other ways, we will.
We stand in opposition to people suffering because of their technology. That is the problem we’re trying to solve for our clients and is, in large measure, why MacAtoZ exists.
The values highlighted here are a touchstone for who we endeavor to be and ultimately, form the basis of our company culture. They are intended as a guide and a reminder to us to be our best selves, to remember who we are, and to illuminate who we are capable of being.
1. Always choose positivity and happiness
- Approach things in a positive and optimistic way
- Never criticize or condemn team members
- Complain only as the first step in identifying a problem and never publicly
- Work to find solutions
- Let others save face, even if they are clearly wrong
- Give deliberate, genuine appreciation
- Be excited about the opportunities to help others
- Choose to be happy and productive
- Frame your experiences in a positive way
2. Think win-win
- Focus every interaction or transaction, internally or externally, on achieving a “win” for all parties involved. (A “win” is defined as “Looking back, yes, I would do this again.”)
- Allow each person or group to define what a win is for them, but help guide them in the process as needed. Many times people don’t realize what a win is until they see it or hear of it.
- Empathize and put yourself in the other person’s shoes to help find out what a win is for them.
- Do not move forward in win-lose, lose-win, or lose-lose propositions
3. Default to transparency and clarity
- Take pride in the opportunity to share our beliefs, failures, strengths, and decisions
- State your thoughts immediately and with honesty
- Share early in decision making processes; avoid “big surprises”
- Don’t assume someone understands what you are saying
- Over explain or over communicate as necessary
- Simplify your writing. Do not use legalese. Communicate exactly what you intend.
- Don’t be afraid to say, “I will find out” if you don’t know the answer.
4. Have a focus on self-improvement
- Be conscious of your current level of productivity and happiness and strive to grow these things
- Have a higher expectation of yourself than MacAtoZ does of you
- Practice activities and develop habits that will improve your mind and your body
- Don’t attach your self-worth to ideas
- Be humble
5. Lead with empathy
- In any interaction, first attempt to ascertain the emotional state of the other party
- Be sensitive to the emotional state of others; it’s not your job to fix other people, but letting others know you share their joy or pain is at least as important as anything else you do with them
- Listen first, then listen more
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood
- Focus on listening rather than responding
6. Take responsibility
- Be reliable, accurate, and timely in your work and your communications
- Aim toward perfection in your efforts but forgive your (and others’) well-intentioned mistakes
- Be honest
- Choose what’s best for the company, your colleagues, and our clients long-term
- Own your successes and your failures
- Do the right thing
7. Make time to reflect
- Deliberately find time for reflection, because that’s where your life-changing adjustments come from
- Have a calm approach to discussions and ponder the points on your own time
- Find time to jump out of the trenches into higher level thinking that will move the needle
- Understand the value of patience and treat it as a muscle which needs practice to grow
8. Live smarter, not harder
- Value waking up refreshed over working that extra hour
- Endeavor to find the repeating patterns of your life and create systems around them
- Automate and systematize what you can
- “Give your pain a purpose.” If you’ve been through a difficult experience and it’s likely to be repeated by yourself or others, create a procedure for it to make it easier next time.
- Understand that sometimes you are the wrong person for the job, and that’s okay
- Don’t be afraid to delegate when appropriate
9. Show gratitude
- Regularly stop and be thankful for your circumstances
- Be grateful for the work your teammates do to push MacAtoZ forward and to help you move faster
- Approach client conversations with humility and the knowledge that it’s a privilege to serve the people who’ve chosen to partner with us
10. Live the life you wish to live
- Articulate your personal and professional goals so that others may help you
- Look for win-win opportunities with (or within) MacAtoZ that lead to your personal or professional advancement
- Develop a life plan and work at it
- Maintain a reasonable work-life balance. Work is but one facet of life. Go do other things.
Ty Davison founded MacAtoZ LLC in 2006. Much of the early client base of the company was centered around assisting the members of the Salem Macintosh User Group (aka SMUG). Frequent presentations to the group and the positive word of mouth that followed generated an increasing number of referrals for the company. MacAtoZ’s major business client was Tom Cederlind, a numismatics dealer in Portland, and a holdover from Ty’s previous company, SiteRev.com, a web site design firm.
In 2008, MacAtoZ launched the MacAtoZ Service Suite (MSS), a multi-tiered remote support program. This allowed us to dramatically expand our geographic reach as well as to frequently serve clients more quickly and efficiently.
In 2012, MacAtoZ hired its first employee, Brittany Stenger, as a part-time office manager and social media expert. MacAtoZ also moved out of its long-standing home office into a condo at in South Salem. CallRuby, a receptionist service in Portland, Oregon was engaged to provide live business hour reception for clients.
In October 2013 MacAtoZ moved into Suite 307E of the Chemeketa Center of Business & Industry (CCBI) at 626 High Street NE, Salem, OR 97302 and engaged Scott Sadler to act as a business consultant for the company as part of Ty’s participation in Chemeketa’s Small Business Management program (and later the Strategic Business Management program). On the basis of Scott’s advice, achieving and maintaining employee work/life balance became a cornerstone of the company.
In early 2014, MacAtoZ made its initial foray into Managed Services. It was also during this time that MacAtoZ contracted Cascade Balanced Books for financial support, with Kim Overfield being primarily responsible for bookkeeping.
In February 2015, Dynée Medlock was hired as an Apple Technician and Web Designer. In April 2015, we launched Sentinel and Sentinel+, our managed services offerings designed specifically for residential clients. In May, we consolidated MSS Tier 3 into Tier 2 and rebranded MSS as “Remote Support” and “Remote Support+” (formerly MSS Tiers 1 and 2, respectively).
On 30 July 2015, MacAtoZ moved from their office at CCBI into their new office at 2590 12th Place SE, Salem, OR 97302. At over 1000 square feet, the new building has a large central office, conference room, bathroom and kitchen as well as a rest area and a 400 square foot garage area for expansion.
In January 2016 MacAtoZ folded all Remote Support programs and features in Sentinel and Sentinel+. In 2017, Stephanie Meagher came onboard as the Office Operations Manager in order to provide Office Management, Bookkeeping, Technical Support, Organizational Development, and Human Resources support.
We are a growing company and always looking for top-tier talent. While different positions will obviously have different specific needs, every position within our company requires:
• excellent communication skills in person, over the phone, and via email;
• a strong desire to help people and to empathize with them;
• the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team;
• a familiarity and enthusiasm for Apple technology;
• reliability and trustworthiness;
• the ability to respect and handle confidential information;
• a confident can-do attitude with proactive orientation;
• you be detail-oriented with an ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize them;
• excellent digital and real world organizational skills;
• a positive, out-going personality with lots of self-motivation—you should come “batteries included.”
If the above describes you, you’re the type of person we’d be interested in having on our team. Any open positions will be listed below. Even if we’re not currently hiring, if you’re interested in working for the premiere Apple consultancy in Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley, we encourage you to send us your resumé and a cover letter.
We are proud to offer the following benefits to our permanent employees:
Top of salary scale
We monitor industry salaries annually and pay at the top of the salary scale, based on skills and experience, for the work our employees do for us.
32 hour or less work weeks
We encourage employees to have a life outside of work, and we mandate a 32 hour or less work week as a result. We want our people to have time for family, volunteering, social activities, hobbies, etc.
With some exceptions, employees are in charge of their own schedule so that they can achieve the work/life balance that works best for them. Yes, this is every bit as awesome as it sounds.
Paid Time Off (PTO)
Employees accrue 1 hour of PTO for every 30 hours worked. This time can be used for holidays, sick days, vacation, or any other purpose at the discretion of the employee.
Employees are encouraged to use common sense in determining their fitness for work. We do not ask employees to take heroic measures in the face of injury or illness. Health first.
Should an employee require mental health counseling for any reason—no reason need be disclosed to the Company—we will pay for three sessions during any calendar year.
Although MacAtoZ has a nifty office, many job functions can be accomplished remotely, and we are set up to allow employees to work from whatever location works best in accomplishing their duties.
Although client meetings and visits require a professional, “business casual” level of dress, employees are welcome to wear casual attire in the office (and whatever they like if they’re working remotely).
MacAtoZ offers a SIMPLE IRA for employees that matches 100% dollar-for-dollar up to 3% of an employee’s salary that is contributed, pre-tax, into the plan.
MacAtoZ provides the Apple hardware and software is necessary for employee to do the job. This may include an iPhone, iMac, and/or MacBook Pro as well as a variety of software. After work hours, the gear is available for personal use.
No hassle expense account
Every employee is issued a company Visa card in their name. It may be used for any work-related expenses, such as travel, software, or office supplies. This eliminates the trouble of expense reports common in larger companies.
MacAtoZ provides free legal consulting services for employees via LegalShield. Employees are encouraged to download the LegalShield app and avail themselves of any legal services available under their LegalShield membership.
The birth or adoption of child is a special time, something MacAtoZ recognizes and honors. The Company gives a new parent employee four weeks of paid leave and an additional eight weeks of unpaid parental leave (12 weeks total). Through mutual agreement the unpaid portion of this leave may be extended if necessary.
Don't Be Shy. Get In Touch.
If you are interested in working at MacAtoZ, send us a resumé and cover letter. Even if we’re not hiring at the moment, we’re always on the lookout for people with whom we want to work. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.